Monday, April 9, 2012

Competitive or chill?

In my opinion, there are two types of ways to live life.  One that is never content and always seeks a higher position and one that just searches for a comfortable life style.  Competitive life styles are too stressful and the brief enjoyment obtained from the amount of time and work spent into victory is not worth it in my opinion.  Not just in life styles, but also in other habits, competitive people tend to compare themselves to other people in almost every aspect to see who is better.  Does it matter who is better though?

I used to be very competitive but I realized that competitive life styles are like a never ending stairway to heaven, in other words, you never reach the goal.  I also noticed that I was always comparing myself to my classmates, friends, and family to see who was "better".  I quit my competitive life style and now I have a different view on life and I am more content with this new life style.  None of my hobbies changed but the way I view people and things has changed.  

Do you have a competitive life or a chill life and how happy are you with your life?  If you can imagine yourself 50 years from now, do you feel as if you would regret your life?  I want to know if other people are happier with competitive or chill lives and regardless of what the case is, I want other viewers to know as well so that we can reflect on our lives and think whether we are truly happy with our lives or not.

4 comments:

  1. In my opinion, it's human nature to always seek more things and to always dream. I noticed that I also compare myself to other people but I don't think I would feel happy with my life knowing that 50 years from now, I accomplished nothing in my life

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is only the competitive way of life. You say that you can have a content life, but that is simply not possible. It has never been possible. Humanity has only gotten this far because of their competitive drive. Natural selection will make sure that the people who reach their apex will be rewarded the most. Also, a content life is a farce. There will always be someone that you compare yourself to and something that you want. Some people may want a Rolls-Royce and others may want to become the next president of the United States. In the end a competitive life ends up being more healthy for an individual because the psychological benefits gained from achieving a goal. However, there are always outliers. There are ambitious people that don't stop until they are at the top and there are also the blissfully ignorant individuals who are content with raising rabbits in a farm down south. Modern conveniences create the illusion of choice because food is not as difficult to procure as it was 10 or 20 years ago, but there is no choice in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I believe that for the most part it depends on circumstances. People can be happy with what they have, having more is always nice but they don't always need it, and sometimes it's just too much work to get that little bit more. Human nature defies the ideal lifestyle. For instance, communism cannot operate properly because of human nature; however, capitalism emphasizes the very core of human nature which explains why it has worked so well up to this point. CAPITALISM HO!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it is important to have a competitive side to every persons life. Without a competitive mentality, a person lacks the want to strive above others and sometimes even himself/herself. I have more of a competitive life since I always compete with my friends in the activities we do and I'm glad to have it. 50 years from now, I doubt I will be regretting my life.

    ReplyDelete